Sunday, September 14, 2008
The Big E

aka The Eastern States Exposition... (click on the image above to enlarge)
---
The largest New England Fair
---
held annually on the 2nd to 3rd weeks in September (17 days)
---
My grandfather began selling cigarettes there in 1957 with 30 Cigarette Machines scattered across the entire park.
---
In 1967 he decided to open a Cigarette Booth. My mom (a recent newlywed) and her mother-in-law (my recently passed Grammy) worked the booth. I was not born yet (my parents adopted me much later) But I found a picture from the first year it was opened. The two women are my mom and my gram. I don't know who the elderly gentleman is or the guy with the pipe are, I will have to ask my dad's sister about that.
---
In other news...
---
Today (September 14th) is my birthmother's birthday
---
I tried to call her and wish her a Happy Birthday
---
Both her cell and home phone are shut off
---
I'm really sad that I couldn't leave her a message wishing her a happy bday
---

I also wanted to tell her I am moving (right now she lives across the street)
---
The day I met her for the first time..
---
oh well..............
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
How interesting about the cigarette booths. That's kind of cool. Can you even sell cigs like that anymore?