Tuesday, August 21, 2007
ugh..........
last night....


my external 160G Drive passed away ... it's little green light began to flicker, then flash on and off . When I attempt to access it via My Computer, I get a message "This drive is not formatted, do you wish to format it now?" WTF!
---
ok so my pc is old (Nov 2002) and the main drive is a paltry 40G. I bought this external about 2 years ago to hold the enormous amount of images and videos I use for my Genealogy websites and as well the thousands of pictures over the years as my family heaps boxload and boxload of old albums upon my lap (I am an only child and grandchild, you can imagine). I had transferred the entire contents of drive C at that point and have added to that directly since tenfold.
---
well, it's all gone evidently, with little or no indication there was a problem. It's fried.
---
I feel like a family member died or my cat got hit by a car..
---
the sense of loss is incredible, 6 years of files, documents, pictures, movies. So much that I probably will never realize some of the stuff I have lost. ugh....
---
i.am.fucked
5 Comments:
Blogger vuboq said...
oog. that totally sucks. *HUGS*

Blogger Brad said...
Maybe not. The power connection could simply be going bad. First, take apart the cover and see if all of your power wire is loose or not attached.

If it is, buy another case, (Mine was less than 20 bucks on Tiger Direct) reinstall the drive in it. There's only two wires, so it is very easy.

If that still fails to fix the drive, I would take the hard drive to someone that is familliar with how to reclaim data from dead or dying hard drives.

Blogger VeryApeAZ said...
There are "data doctors" who can probably recover your data. It's well worth the money. Check them out!

Blogger Ur-spo said...
how frustrating and awful.
i am saddened for you.
it reminds me to back things up.

Blogger Polt said...
Dude, I am so sorry! last year my computer died from a virus before I could salvage anything...but that was only a two year old computer....didn't have 6 years and all the personal stuff on it....

My sympathies!

HUGS...