Saturday, August 18, 2007
Iranian Guards vow to 'punch' U.S.
(An Iranian Revolutionary Guard special forces unit takes part in military maneuvers)

Iranian Guards vow to 'punch' U.S.

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards said they would not bow to pressure and threatened to "punch" the U.S., in their first response to Washington's plan to list them as a terrorist organization, newspapers reported Saturday.


Local press in the Iranian capital of Tehran quoted Revolutionary Guards leader Gen. Yahya Rahim Safavi saying that he could understand Washington's ire toward the group because of their "leverage" against the U.S

"America will receive a heavier punch from the guards in the future," he was quoted as saying in the conservative daily Kayhan. "We will never remain silent in the face of U.S. pressure and we will use our leverage against them."

There was no elaboration on what Safavi meant by the punch or the organization's "leverage."

Washington has accused the Guards of supporting militias and insurgent groups attacking U.S. forces in Iraq -- charges Iran denies.

--------------------------------------------------------

Reading articles like this sadden me on so many levels (let's not even go into that Iran is the birthplace of my grandparents, and that I am half Persian, the predominant and ancient ethnic group of that nation)
---
As I have posted in the past, I am highly skeptical over whether what we are being fed via the press is completely accurate. I am in contact with friends/relations who have much more of a "grass roots" perspective and who plead with me not to believe so much of the propaganda and careless "exited" journalism making its way into our homes and PCs.
---
I'm afraid to admit it is just this type of carless exited journalism on both sides which will serve to worsen the situation (as if we can even fathom "worse" at this point).
---
I try not to read most of these reports, but often I find myself doing just that and what I start to feel is a mixture of anger, anxiousness, frustration, helplessness and most of all fear.
---
I'm sure many if not most of you feel the same way, so we try to get on with our lives, almost intentionally ignorant of what the press is reporting. Ignorance is bliss right? Or is it...
---
How many of you avoid clicking on sensationalistic links such as:

Mortars, Bombs in Iraq's North Kill 11

Suicide attacks cause major bloodshed in Iraq

U.S. clashes with Iraq militants

U.S. gets no Arab promises of Iraq help

I know most of the time I do...
---
I found this vintage video interview compelling. It is from 1974 and it is an interview with (then) Iranian Shah Rezah Pahlavi in which he describes how he feels the (United States) media is influenced by the "Jewish-American" financial (& naturally as a result Political) powerhouse. It is a rather heated interview. Keep in mind of course Rezah Pahlavi was overthrown (for those of you who are unfamiliar) and exiled from his native country by religious fundamentalists headed by the infamous Ayatollah khomeini, but that is only a side point. Pahlavi was a moderate in Iran, one who considered himself a "friend" of The United States. It was during his reign (in 1948) that my grandparents arrived into the USA. Pahlavi's successors in Iran had a much more intense and condemning attitude toward Israel and the supposed "Jewish-American" powerhouse which (allegedly) served to (using it's vast Political influence) initially create and later sustain it's existence.
---




---
*sigh*
3 Comments:
Blogger Jim said...
Interesting! I agree with a little of what he said, that the media is controlled and used as a propoganda machine to serve external interests.

But I disagree that the external interest, in the case of the US, is the Jewish-American community. If it were, you would not see the volume of pro "Palestinian" statehood dialogue.

As it is with any country, the media serves the interests of its government.

Blogger Michael The Shadow said...
You know, I actually stay on a "media black out" for the most part. Sure it keeps me ignorant on what's going on in the world for the most part, but it's unbiased at least :D

About the only place I go to look at news items is the BBC online. I figured that while it may be slanted, it wouldn't be the "american" slant so I might actually get some real news out of it.

Most Americans don't know that he came to power as a direct result of American intervention in Iran. The CIA deposed a legally elected head of government in Iran and installed the Shah.

Europe and America have been trying to colonize the middle east ever since Napoleon botched his invasion of Egypt in 1798.

I have to pause now to wipe the foam from my lips.