Friday, March 02, 2007
answers to four truths and a lie ... from yesterday
I was tagged for this same Meme last May (which you can read here) and then again a few days ago by Stevie. Like Polty, I love this one, it's fun to do, and even more fun to read what others post about themselves.
---
so which one is the lie?
---
1. My grandfather's mother hacked her husband to death with an Axe in 1921.

True
(If you are really bored and want to read the gory details on this click here) Essentially, my great-grandmother Catherine did in fact bludgeon her husband to death with a hatchet (not an axe (sorry for that mistake on my part) My grandfather was just 5 years old when this happened, and it was something that haunted him until he passed away in 1998.
---

2. Even though I began College immediately after graduating High School, and maintained Full Time Status (officially) and incurring the cost of full tuition, it took me 15 years to finally complete my Bachelor of Arts Degree.

True
It did in fact take me 15 years to complete my degree, primarily because I got married and started having children Sophmore year and had to cut back on my classes right off. The sad thing is that my School was constantly re-evaluating their requirements, and should I not have maintained full-time status (regardless of how many courses I was enrolled in that particular semester) I would have been subject to the most current degree requirements and (on more than one occasion) would have had to take additional classes. While the tuition was somewhat less than if I had been enrolled in 5 courses, it was still pretty steep. My grandparents understood this and saw me through to the end financially.
---

3. I have visited every (formerly termed "Western") European country except Norway, Finland & Greece.
True

(age 19 Firenze, you can see the Ponte Vecchio behind me, my first of six trips overseas)
---
4. My adopted mother has been married 4 times to date, and currently resides in Vermont.
False
---
My parents divorced when I was very young and my mother remarried not long after. They will celebrate their 28th anniversary in August and currently reside in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Florida.
---
5. I am distantly related to Anderson Cooper.

True

---
My grandmother Claire is a 4th cousin to Anderson (see chart above), both descendants of Cornelius & Sophia (Johnson) Vanderbilt. While I do not know him personally, I have met and spent some time with his mother back in my teens, she is a very charming lady.
---
well that's it, I am running late (as usual) and need a shower...
---
Have a great Weekend everyone :)
---
S11 153
9 Comments:
Blogger potusol said...
See, I HAVE been paying attention.

: )

Blogger Lemuel said...
Cool stuff!

Blogger Ur-spo said...
you are an interesting fellow!

Blogger Doug said...
Ha! I was right! (even though I didn't read yesterday's post until today, and I didn't vote, that's the story I'm sticking to) Heehee

Does your relationship to Andy Cooper mean it will be illegal for you to marry him whenever gay marriage becomes legal?

Blogger Steve said...
Damn! And, I still think that story about your grandfather's mother chopping up her husband wild.

I knew about 1,2 and 5. I didn't know 3, but I was pretty sure your mom hadn't married 4 times. All just from reading along.
#1 is kinda "Lizzie Borden".

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...
Jeez Louise on the grandpa killing! The most I have is an alligator hunter and a Great Aunt who was a prostitute in Vegas :)

Blogger Patti_Cake said...
I always love the lies/truth thing! I remember the story about the murder when you posted it. You are such an interesting guy Jim. I bet I could sit and listen to you for hours in person! :)

Blogger Unknown said...
I love that you know your family history so well! For years I've been researching details of mine (I'm very fortunate to have family who have already published books on much of it). But filling in a bunch of the gaps has been very rewarding.