I got the most amazing compliment yesterday ...
So I have mentioned before how the bosses nephew has been working on and off with me over the past year. He's off on college break now and yesterday was his last day with us (well with my boss out indefinitely it's just he and I)
He's just turned 19
He has mentioned this a couple times in the past, I always shirked it off..
He told me I don't belong working for his Uncle's (and late grandfather's) company.
He said that I am being underutilized, that I have too much potential and could be making twice or three times my current salary elsewhere. He also said that I stand out like a sore thumb in a company of idiots. Now you must understand this company belongs to his family, not just his uncle but also mother and late grandparents. His mother would be very upset if she knew he was pushing me to better myself and move on. But yet he said it just the same. I suppose it's something I have heard before from my ex-wife, family and friends. I just always have chosen to ignore it, like they were giving me empty compliments. Coming from this kid tho, who has no incentive to be anything other than objective, it somehow hit home and in a big way. This guy probably has an IQ in the genius level, even at his very young age I value his words tremendously. This was the first company I ever worked for full time, just after I married and a week before my older son was born.
What is holding me back?
I now have a degree (BA) and more than a decade of experience in my field.
I am seriously starting to give his advice some thought.
I haven't been happy in ages anyway .. and my salary is horrid ($17.00 an hour)
moving right along...
I have not been able to get to many blogs the last few days. Work has been INSANE (as previously posted) and posting from my desk is always a risky idea given the way they monitor internet usage. Let's not even go into the blogger issues lately. I am afraid I just might have to bite the bullet and switch to wordpress like so many
of you have. This place could use an overhaul anyway .. I really like what some people have done lately with their templates.
Way back wednesday
god how my ex wife hated
that scruffage ...
well my power has been thankfully restored .. (those bastards were so punishing me!)
You guys all made me feel so much better yesterday...
thanks soo much for all the amazing cyber affection!
a fun meme ..
1. The phone rings. Who are you hoping it is?One of my kids, I love it when they call me during the week (I have them every weekend).
2. When shopping at the grocery store, do you return your cart?usually to the cart storage thing in the parking lot, rarely all the way back to the front of the store.
3. In a social setting, are you more of a talker or a listener? depends on how many drinks I've had (and how well I know the others) I am a super shy person in a room full of people I do not know.
4. If abandoned alone in the wilderness, would you survive? Most likely, I have a great appreciation for life and would put up one hell of a fight before giving in.
5. Do you like to ride horses? Growing up we had horses on our property since I was about 8. I also showed all the way up until I was in my late teens.
6. Did you ever go to camp as a kid? Yes I would usually spend two weeks in the summer at camp in the country. I loved it.
7. What was your favorite board game as a kid? Monopoly.
8. If a sexy person was pursuing you, but you knew he/she was taken what would you do? Apart from being flattered nothing. That is despicable in my book.
9. Are you judgmental? On occasion..
10. Would you date someone with different religious beliefs? of course
11. Are you continuing your education? Since I finally completed my BA a few years ago I have not once even considered going back. Well maybe once, but the desire passed quickly when I remembered how much of a pain it is to take night courses. 3 hours an evening after working the whole day stresses me out.
12. Do you know how to shoot a gun? no guns have never interested me.
13. If your house was on fire, what's the first thing you'd grab? my cat of course, followed by my old family photos and videos.
14. How often do you read books? lately, I've been reading consistently a new book every couple evenings. I'm on a Stephen King phase of late. This is his forth since Early December I am working on (Lisey's Story)
15. Do you think more about the past, present or future? Well, I was a history major in college and am an avid genealogist so I guess more about the past than most. But in fairness I am pretty focused on where my life is going forward. I think it's a mix actually.
16. What is your favorite children's book? Where did I come from by Peter Mayle. My mother used to read that to me a lot as a kid. Those were such special times for me. See now I'm getting all sentimental *wipes away tear* Now if I think about my own two sons, it's the laughter which would erupt when I used to read them Dr. Suess when I first had them on weekends after my seperation from their mother (they were 2 1/2 and 5 at the time). They would laugh so hard and I always followed suit. Such memories... kids grow up way too quickly.
17. How tall are you? 6'
18. Where is your ideal house located? near my children and family. I could never relocate away from them. At least while they are young, I've always lived in the same county here in Massachusetts, and while I love to travel (and do often) home base shall always be here. I just like the ancient feeling of being on land first settled by one of my ancestors in 1637. It is an amazing sense of belonging I can't fully explain.
19. Last person you talked to? hm.. I guess my friend Jake.
21. When was the last time you were at Olive Garden? Wow that one came out of nowhere. It's been probably 10 years. It isn't that I don't like it, just haven't been lately.
22. What are your keys on your key chain for? Car, Condo, parents house, work
23. What did you do last night? Nothing of note, went online, cooked dinner (amazing boneless pork chops diced into chunks, sauteed in hot salsa and cayenne pepper, melted pepper jack cheese and wrapped in these wheat tortillas) and then read some more of Lisey's Story.
24. Where is your current pain at? I don't have any thankfully!
25. Do you like mustard? Sure, but use it rarely.
26. Do you like your mom or dad? of course!!
27. How long does it take you in the shower? depends on the time of day, in the morning I could stay in there 30 minutes. Something about a hot shower in the AM, it's wonderful.
28. What movie do you want to see right now? I've seen way too many movies lately, I was just looking through the listings last night, nothing looks interesting that I haven't seen.
29. Do you put lotion on your dog or cats? um..no!
30. What did you do for New Year's? walked around Northampton MA with a date I could have done without. I was in bed by maybe 1.
31. Do you think The Grudge was scary? I hated it, but then again I can't stand Sarah Michelle Gellar. She's godawful.
32. Do you own a camera phone? I'd be lost without it yes.
33. What's the last letter of your middle name? "T"
34. Who did you vote for on American Idol? Shows like that never interest me. I seldom turn the TV on, unless it's to pop in a DVD, even that is a rarity.