Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Way back Wednesday.. my grandparents





---
I was going through some of the hundreds of photographs my Aunt gave me a few weeks ago and came across this series from an afternoon my grandparents spent together before they were married in the 1940's. They were both teenagers at that point.
---
He was Sicilian and she English/Dutch. They had to sneak around, her family did not approve.
---
anyway...
---
these three of my little monsters just made me smile
---


I guess they were a little hungry in this one...

---
I was originally going to make this post today about my ex-wife and I, but time got away from me and if you are going to cover a significant part of your life it shouldn't be rushed. So I will possibly do that tomorrow or next Wednesday.
---
Last night I had a couple drinks with a friend..
---
Any of you ever blog under the influence?
---
It's always more fun at the time..
than it is reading what you have written in horror the next day.
---
*sigh*
---
*pours the Bombay down the sink*
---
I feel a little better now...
---
here is an interesting historical factoid...
---
The X's that people sometimes put at the end of letters or notes to mean a kiss (not to be confused with the mark X used by people unable to sign their name) actually started back in the Middle Ages when Lords would sign their names at the end of documents to other important people. It was originally a cross that they would kiss after signing to signify that they were faithful to God and their King.
---
Louis XVI of France and Napoleon both suffered from ailurophobia--fear of cats.
---
and finally .. if you are superstitious you might find this interesting...
---

An old wives tale on the Bee
---
If a bee enters your home, it's a sign that you will soon have a visitor.
If you kill the bee, you will have bad luck, or the visitor will be unpleasant.

A swarm of bees settling on a roof is an omen that the house will burn down.
---
That last line made me chuckle a little..
---
Hope everyone has a great Hump Day :)
--
xo


14 Comments:
Blogger Lemuel said...
Nice pics of your grandparents and boys.

I have a similar experience with blogging ideas. I wake up in the middle of the night with a great idea and jot notes. In the morning, my reaction is usually, "what was I thinking!"

Thanks also for the historical note on "loves and kisses". I had not heard that.

so...

xo backatcha

Blogger Stephen said...
I always enjoy your way back wednesdays, you are a store house of knowledge on your family history, the stories, the pictures, and to one day be able to pass it down to boys, it will be one the greatest gifts they will ever receive.

Hope you're not feeling too bad after last night. Did you delete that post? ;)

Blogger john said...
Your little ones are adorable!!!
That's fascinating about the X's at the end of letters. I use to use them as a kiss sign, but I added the O's to them too (which supposedly signified a hug).

Blogger Scott E D said...
I love those pictures your grandmother is fabulous.

Blogger vuboq said...
Never, I repeat NEVER pour Bombay Sapphire down the sink. Send it to me!

*smooch*

Blogger matty said...
Bombay Sapphire -- used to love it when I was in my teens. Now, for me, it is just another Stevie Nicks song.

Blogger Ur-spo said...
i love old photos like these
people looked so much more dapper then; I wish more dressup came back into fashion.

Blogger Doug said...
Love your Way-back's. Your affinity for your family is heartwarming.

We once had a nest of bees under the house. We sprayed as many bees as we could, but they eventually left on their own. I wonder what that is supposed to mean. :)

Blogger Rey Rey said...
I made it a point that should I ever blog under the influence, I save it as a draft... I never publish it because, aside from the content of my drunken ramblings, I'm horrified to find TYPOS in my posts! I guess it's the grammar queen in me.

And regarding "bees", I guess it's a good thing that the bee is the logo for my PR firm... Cuz damn it, if there are a number of my worker drones/employees at your concert/event, then that means it's on FI-YAH!!!

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...
And if you have a bee in your pants, and you feel a burning sensation, you might have a visitor or a lot of visitors...

Blogger matty said...
I do like honey, tho.

Blogger M- Filer said...
Cute Kids!

Blogger DEREK said...
wonderful shots love them all!

Blogger NeiLDC said...
nice pics of your grandparents, they are really young and happy. nice pis of ur kids as well... love them all!! thanks 4 sharing..