Tuesday, November 21, 2006
three disturbing things I read today...

Democratic Rep. Charles Rangel of New York says he plans to propose a measure to reinstate the draft.

(CNN) -- Although Congress is unlikely to follow calls from a top Democrat to bring back the military draft, the United States does have a plan, if necessary, aimed at inducting millions of young men for service.

The Selective Service System, an agency independent of the Defense Department, says it's ready to respond quickly to any crisis that would threaten to overwhelm the current all-volunteer military.

---

All I can say is Rep. Rangel, you disgust me. I am not quite sure of your motivation here, but thankfully (I believe) that much like when this was discussed in '91, nothing more will come of it. Of course it is a much more serious situation currently, and this is what frightens me, that this "unlikely" proposal might turn and bite us all in the ass soon enough.

---


NEW YORK (AP) -- After a firestorm of criticism, News. Corp. said Monday that it has canceled the O.J. Simpson book and television special "If I Did It."

"I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project," said Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. chairman. "We are sorry for any pain that his has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson."

A dozen Fox affiliates had already said they would not air the two-part sweeps month special, planned for next week before the November 30 publication of the book by ReganBooks.(Watch why Fox cancelled the special Video)

---
What I want to know is who the hell came up with this "project"? It is as if his acquittal was not enough of a slap in the face of Nicole & Ronald's families. Completely disgusting.
---

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- An 89-year-old man whose car hurtled through a farmers market, killing 10 people, was let off on probation Monday by a judge who said he believed the defendant deserved to go prison but was too ill.

George Russell Weller was convicted Oct. 20 of 10 counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence in a case that renewed debate over whether elderly people should lose their driver's licenses.

Superior Court Judge Michael Johnson said he agreed completely with the jury and called Weller's actions callous and showing "an enormous indifference to human life.

---

It has been my opinion for a long time there should be some sort of "special" procedure the elderly would have to go through in order to keep their license beyond a certain age. My own grandmother, who is 82, has dementia and is often disoriented just renewed. Granted we have taken the keys from her and she will not be on the roads thankfully, she very well could be if we weren't here to stop her. I have a great Aunt who is 97 and still (legally) able to operate a vehicle. Two years ago a 90 year old woman drove through the front of a store next to my house, nearly killing two people. She was completely indifferent and more upset about the damage to her car than the trauma she had caused. I see it all the time on the roads, elderly people cutting you off, not using blinkers, sudden lane shifts while never looking.

---

and the winner of yesterday's
Vote for your favorite Persian
is #2 by a landslide.

---
It's so good to back on days, I slept for the greater part of Monday, never even leaving the house. At least it will be a short week (Thanksgiving). As usual I am running late and need a shower.
---
S1 158
14 Comments:
Blogger Polt said...
Rangel's motivation is that with an all volunteer force, it's mainly the poorer classes that go into the military, due to lack of other opportunities.

His solution is a draft, actually, I heard MANDATORY service, because then, in his thinking, politicians would be less likely to start needless wars (ie Iraq) if they knew their kids, or nieces or nephews or the kids of thier rich fat cat contributors would be likely to be thrown into harms way.

I don't support a draft. Rangle's proposal will go nowhere. However, I commend him for bringing it up again (as he's done in the past). It keeps the unfairness of the war, and the issues surrounding it, on the table and in public discourse.

HUGS>....

Blogger Doug said...
I hadn't heard about the draft issue, and Polty, you bring up an excellent point. I hadn't considered that aspect of it.

My dad forcefully took his parents' car away when they were about 80. They were very active people, and were cautious drivers, but my dad saw what was coming. The cool thing is I won't have to fight with my dad when the time comes.

Just like when a person first gets their license, additional measures should be taken to ensure that elderly drivers are capable. Regular testing isn't outrageous, in my opinion.

Blogger Benji said...
yes, i've read about all 3 stories.

the first - Rangel has tried this perenially, but it looks like Pelosi is going to shoot him down again this year. I wrote him an email telling him supplying more troops through a draft won't deter fat old white male politicians from waging war for oil.

the second - At least FOX pulled the show. I'm disturbed the idea even came up. And yes, I view it as a confession as well.

the third - His age shouldn't matter. Fuck him. He committed vechular manslaughter - he should be punished for it. He hasn't ever shown real remorse anyway.

now... two other disgusting stories for you...

#4 - 6 Muslim scholars were pulled off a USAirways flight after a passenger expressed concerns (supposedly they were praying). I'm disturbed by this, but I'm not sure I can really put together any cohesive thoughts on it. Yes, "foreigners" praying can be intimidating (I felt that way with Orthodox Jews praying on an El-Al flight to Tel Aviv), and some of it may be rooted in ignorance, but refusing to be removed from the plane contributes to the problem, right? I'm not sure how I would have responded had it been me.

#5 - the UCLA student who was tazered at the library. he didn't show his student ID card and was somewhat combative (verbally), but to demand someone get up after being stunned with a tazer is an obvious abuse of power. to threaten students around the scene that they would be tazered if they continued to ask for the badge numbers is also clearly excessive.

anyway, just the sorry state of Bush's America.

(and feel free to add me back to your blogroll ... i'm not planning on any new posts any time soon, though)

Blogger Monogram Queen said...
I am so glad they cancelled the OJ debacle
and i'm definitely an advocate of the elderly being monitored. My Grandfather and my Great Grandmother used to scare the BEJESUS out of us. They were completely entitled and everyone else had best watch out for THEM.

Blogger Unknown said...
Re0instate the draft? FUCK that! Can you imagine what that would do. I never lived thru the draft but wow, that would be INSANE!
Yeah, they dropped the whole OJ thing, what a piece of crap, really.

Have a great thnxgiving holiday PG!

Blogger john said...
The whole OJ Simpson book writing ordeal astounds me. I can't believe it was published--it's a mockery of the whole trial.

I hope it doesn't sell, to show him that the public is disgusted with his recent behavior.

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...
Rangel is just all kinds of nuts.

OJ? I don't even know where to start on that whole debacle. I don't know how he could kill his children's mother, then write a book about how he "would have done it if he had been the killer." I think the Father of the Year Award is in the bag for next year.

Elderly drivers? Add kids on their cell phone. Around here, a 19 year old girl hit and killed a man on his bike because she was downloading a ringtone and not watching the road. It was her third or fourth driving offense. There needs to be some sort of sanction against people who show such a lack of regard for the safety of others when they are behind the wheel.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Blogger Jim said...
I doubt the draft would actually happen, too many people are ready to launch a flame-thrower to that misguided idea.

OJ, I'm going to pretend like that moron doesn't exist.

I'm a fan of everyone taking regular driving tests. Most of the road-danger in Dallas comes from people fiddling with their phones/pdas/ipods while driving (like the stupid cow that hit me last month - not that I'm bitter :)

Blogger Joshua said...
O.J. just won't go away, and the draft needs to go away! As far as that old man, I don't know what to think?!

Blogger Josh said...
Another Josh throws his hat into the ring!

I've coined the moniker "Chuck Rangel, Conscription Angel" to refer to him. I can understand his point about a draft forcing politicians to reconsider entering wars, but I think there are other ways to accomplish that end result without putting unwilling young people in harm's way.

Still, I'm not terribly worried about any possible draft, with the whole gay thing and all that.

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...
Again, a great post...lots of good info. I can relate to the elderly driving - I'm south of a HUGE retirement community - it's horrible that some of these people are on the roads. My mother is pushing 74...I'll be watching her more closely - she'd be perfectly fine not driving, but I think it would wreck her social life - we're trying to keep her out there, busy, but not at the expense of others.

I think the thing about reinstating the draft is about ending the Iraq war. The Vietnam war didn't spark powerful nationwide resistance until the middle class started seeing their children coming home in bodybags.
It's the quickest way to get us out of Iraq.

Blogger Jason said...
Well I totally agree with you, all three subjects are dispicable.
I cannot believe that anyone would financially support a known murderer. Karma will one day have his way with Mr. Simpson. That guy is just trash.

The draft- won't happen, but I cannot believe anyone would recommend or support this measure. Let's clean up Bush's mess and be done with this mess. Even Kissinger has come out and said this war is not going to be won. Enough of the politiking.

It boggles my mind how people unfit due to medical or age related medical issues are able to drive a potential weapon on the roads. There needs to be better measures of testing people for allowance of driving. No one is above the law, no matter what your age. You do the crime, you do the time in my opinion. Those people who were innocently killed never got a choice.

Hope you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Blogger Doghigh said...
My choice never wins! I would have voted for number 3...what is up with all of the really young looking ones winning?
*sigh*

Those gays and their culture of youth :-)