Wednesday, September 27, 2006
should trust my instincts...

So I returned one of Mike's (Mikhail actually) 3 calls yesterday. He got right to the point, and asked if I had plans for the evening. I said no, he said he wanted to come to my condo. I misunderstood the original plans I guess. Then he popped the question:

him: Do you smoke?
(I'm thinking oh he's an anti smoker)
Me:
yea a little
him:
Because I have some I can bring
(now I really feel like an idiot, that one always gets me)
me:
No I don't smoke in that case.

Now I was a little uneasy. I thought about calling him back and canceling, but I didn't for some reason. I gave him directions and he said he would be over at like 7 or so. I cleaned up a bit, took a shower and waited. Around 7:15 my buzzer rang (we have a main entry door we have to buzz people in through). I hit the button, heard him come through the outside door and then...

Heard

Him

walking

up

the

stairs

and

then

the

knock...

I

open

the

door

and....




OMG! It's Mr. Bean!!

(hehe not really but a very close likeness)

---
He was carrying a six pack of Mike's Hard Lemonade (maybe it was a subtle hint). I kind of sort of recognized him, but not really. He was also a bit overweight (ok more than a bit). Oh yea and he stuttered constantly, getting stuck on (I would say) about every 5th word. I guess that doesn't come through on the voicemails, or maybe it's a nervous thing, I dunno.
---
He came in, sat down opened a Mike's and we started talking. It was an interesting convo actually, and it turns out he's not really half Italian. His father is Persian and mother from Afghanistan. What a mix! He was also educated in England and since his father was some sort of a diplomat, lived at times in India, Nairobi, Iran, Iraq, Russia, and of course England. He had an air of sophistication and worldliness about him. So we talked, drank, talked some more, and then at like 9 he became very forward.

him: I've wanted to ask you this since I got here but we keep talking.
me: yea? Ask me what.

---

(ok like I didn't see this coming, the blatant stares and the fascination with my hands and feet should have been red flags, you can imagine what he asked)

---
well it wasn't what I was expecting. He had come over to hookup essentially. He's closeted. His family has no idea and well he likes it that way. I mean it's not like he's married with children but still, he is at least 35 and very single. From that point on I wasn't so much into the conversation. I am not into hookups, and well I guess I was expecting more from this.

---

Nice enough guy I guess, but like I said, I had the wrong idea. We're not looking for the same thing, I won't be seeing him again (obviously). He kept also asking me for my blog addy so he could check it out. It wasn't too hard to sidetrack that one... whew!!

---
I think I may just be single forever...
---

S1 154

29 Comments:
Blogger daveincleveland said...
mr bean huh........well at least you gave him a chance.....actually sounds kinda dorky.......but then who am i to call dorky......anyways glad everything came out ok...have a great day there handsome....:)

Blogger daveincleveland said...
damn dude sounds like ya didn't even get dinner......guess i had a a better time watching dancing with the stars and walking my dog......hahaha

Blogger tornwordo said...
I dunno, Mr Bean is kinda cute.

Blogger Polt said...
being single forever? I doubt it. but even so, would you really want to settle for a pudgy, stuttering Mr. Bean clone? That does nothing for you? And isn't out to his family? And interested in only hookups?

Nah, I didn't think so. :)

Blogger Steve said...
Yikes! And, probably an un-comfortable position to be in, I'd guess. Hang in there, he'll come along... trust me.

Blogger vuboq said...
Forever is a really long time ...

I'm going to blatantly steal from comments left on my blog yesterday:

From Maggie: When you are content with yourself and don't feel the "need" to look, tada, there he is. I swear, people are attracted to people, that are so happy with themselves they don't need anyone. It's a vibe you give off that's hard to resist.

From GayProf: Chin up, little trooper.

From Me: *smooch*

Blogger Rian said...
Well, Jim, at least you tried it and now you know it's not what you wanted. So you don't have to ask yourself "what would have happened if ..."

Mr. Perfect will come, usually when you expect it the least.

sounds as tho you dodged a bullet there....

Blogger Scott E D said...
I'm gald you did it.

Blogger potusol said...
Kiddo, at least you gave it a shot. Things don't work out but like Rian said above at least you won't have to wonder "what if?". And I bet you'll pay a LOT better attention when you go out from now on. : )

Blogger Larry said...
Yeeee. Yeah, unpleasant. I got the creeps actually. But I guess statistically speaking that it works out that way sometimes.

Blogger Doug said...
What Rian said.

Blogger The Persian said...
Dave: dorky is being kind..he was a dissapointment on so many levels. The clincher was after 2 hours of interesting conversation he informs me that he wanted to get "down to it" all along, but endured the discussion.

tornwordo: um your'e kidding right? lol

Polty: Nah I don't think so either.

Steve: well Mike's hard lemonade and a bit of Killians I had in my fridge helped, but it was uncomfortable yea.

Vuboq: I Love Maggie's advice, she's right.


Rian: Exactly, and that is why I went through with it, because there have been times I haven't met people and always wondered... :)

Ynager65: I guess, I still feel like I got hit tho.

Scott: Yea when all is said and done so am I (and not because it was terribly enjoyable, but as Rian points out.. what if??)

Jeffy: Glad to see you back posting buddy, missed you! I don't plan on going out any time soon, but yea when I do, I'll be more careful. You know that old like, you go home at 2 with a 10, and wake up at 10 with a 2.. :)

Larry: It was unpleasant, maybe moreso because he is a little shady on top of the other problems.

Doug: Couldn't agree more :)

Blogger Monogram Queen said...
Hey at least you were a good guy and gave him a chance.

Okay I almost pissed myself that he looked like Mr. Bean!

So very sad that he's closeted. What a life....

Blogger daveincleveland said...
omg can you imagine getting down to it and looking up at that goofy smile..........i would just loose it...right then and there..........i am cracking up now just thinking about it...lol

Blogger VeryApeAZ said...
I'm glad he wasn't a psycho. Please do us all a favor. Do not invite anyone over for a first meeting. Meet in a public place first. Because Mr. Bean could always turn into Mr. Stalker. And you definitely DON'T want that! Of course, if he did do that you could always tell him that he'd better stop or else you'll tell his mommy and daddy. That'll stop him quick.
;-)

Blogger The Persian said...
patti: He is the spitting image of Mr. Bean (well a bit younger but still)

dave: thanks for the visual

Hanuman: Mr. Right...I'm starting to wonder if there is such a thing.
The family must have an idea, he isn't very masculine either.

Ted: Yes that was stupid, but I felt like he wasn't quite a stranger since we met and exchanged phone numbers. I was wrong I guess, lesson learned. :)

Blogger Michael The Shadow said...
Dear God Jim! Ya know, I don't know why you can't meet a nice guy because you're 1) definitely hot, 2)intelligent and interesting, and 3) completely lovable. Grrr....I'm startin to think I need to dip into my pagan bag of tricks and see if I can find something to send ya at least 2 good men to choose between :)

Sigh....at least you got folks interested in ya though. I swear I'm sittin here in the dark apparently hehe.

*hugs*

Blogger Rey Rey said...
My question is... How did you get out of the situation? Like, so there he is, wanting a little summa sum... and he looks at you with wolverine eyes and you look at him shellshocked and you say...?

And like everyone said, it's cool you gave him a chance. Bummer it didn't work out, but he's out there somewhere. At least that's what I tell myself.

Blogger Donald said...
You tried......nothing ventured, nothing gained. Mr. Right will come along when you least expect it.

Blogger Jimmi said...
This is exactly why you meet for coffee. NEVER have someome come to your home until you get to know them. A coffee allows long enough to get to know someone and deterimin if you want i to go on to dinner or a movie or in some cases just hook-up. If not... "ok well I am done with my coffee, nice to meet you...ciao Mr. Bean"

Blogger Miladysa said...
There is someone out there for you - perhaps a few frogs on the way but you shall get there eventually! ;]

Blogger Joel said...
I didn't see THAT one coming...lol. It is so typical isn't it?

Blogger DEREK said...
your way to sexy to be single forever mr!

Blogger Mikey said...
What Derek said!! Sorry but I had to laugh at the visual I got...sorry!

Blogger Unknown said...
Mr. bean, lol! I would have slammed the door in his face, lol!
Dating is really tough, it really is. There is nobody I am interested here, at least the ones that are out anyway. I attract str8 guys and there is never a "future" with them, but god damn they are so hot, lol!

Blogger Tay Hota said...
a little confused.. you were expecting more from Mr. Bean? If I ever have the opportunity to date again (if I grow balls...) I will NEVER date a closeted guy again...

Blogger madamerouge said...
I think I'll be single forever, too. Let's get adjacent condos in Las Cruces and retire.

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...
I hear you on the single forever thing.