Monday, September 11, 2006

It's been 5 years already, the time has passed so quickly.
---
When a horrific tragedy of this proportion occurs, often we lose sight of the individuals lost, looking rather upon the event in terms of general statistics. I think the most important thing we can do as Americans today, on the 5th anniversary of 911, is take the time to visit one of the numerous sites dedicated to creating biographies of those lost. We need to celebrate the lives they lived.
---
When I was very young, my mother and I paid a visit to the cemetery where her beloved grandmother was buried. It was an old place, riddled with weeds and unkept stones. Driving through it, I commented that only a scarce few of the graves had flowers growing in planters. She said something then which has always stuck in my mind...
---
"Those unfortunate people have truly died and left this world"
I asked then
"Why?"
she replied
"As long as someone lives in the memory of another, they live still"
I didn't really understand at that time, but I do now.
---
---
Do you remember where you were on 911?
---
It was just before the start of The Eastern States Exposition. I have had a booth there since I was 18 where I sell Cigarettes and Beer. I had just borrowed my grandad's van to pick up the cigarettes from my place of employment. It was an older Van and did not have a CD or cassette tape player. I have never done well without music. I got in, turned on the radio and heard that the first tower had been hit. It was a moment I will never forget. I have never felt so horribly vulnerable and afraid before or since.
---
When I was in 8th grade my school took a trip to NYC where we visited both the Twin Towers and Statue of Liberty. I have the photos still, taken on the roof of one tower. I remember it vividly. I can't put my hands on the photos right now, but when I do, I will add them to this post.
---
I worked third shift last night.
---
I got home at 730 and slept till maybe 11.
---
I ran a few errands today (which will soon be detailed visually in my video blog)
--
I need a nap.
---
Michael check out the clip over there, the post office run was for you, they said about 3 days, so expect a little package Thursday or perhaps sooner. :)
---
160
3 Comments:
Blogger Michael The Shadow said...
*blink blink* Wowsers...:) Yeah I know that smiling on this day is supposed to be a national sin, and I don't belittle the lives that were lost. I just don't get things in the mail that often that aren't bills or from Netflix.

And yeah, I remember waking up that morning and getting ready to go to work. My roommate at that time called to me as I was about to walk out the door and told me that a plane had hit the Towers. I thought he was joking and wandered in to look at the Tv he was watching. The whole day at work I simply was in a state of shock.

Blogger daveincleveland said...
only thing i remember vividly is coming home from work at the end of the day and seeing my 17 year old daughter curled up on the couch crying, scared to death that something more horrible was going to happen at any time, like you have never felt so afraid and vulnerable in my life.......

Blogger Unknown said...
Great post.
I took the time and wrote where I was and how I felt when it happened. Yesterday was a somber day and I watched the recap of the events yesterday. It all came back what I felt 5 years ago.