Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Way Back Wednesday #4


Introducing Great-Grandmother Maria Giuseppa Marciano, born April 17, 1889 Carini, Provincia di Palermo, Sicily daughter of Antonino & Francesca Angela (Marciano) Marciano. Yup, both her parents were Marciano's, 2nd cousins in fact, and to make it worse, Giuseppa married her OWN first cousin (her father & his mother were full siblings), my Great-Grandfather Antonino. It's no wonder their children were born without deformities!
---
Tracing her ancestry and that of her husbands has fascinated me. You see the records for this particular town stretch back (and are complete) to 1527. I have access (thanks to the LDS church) to all of the church registers. It is one thing when the statement is made that back in the old country cousins married cousins, and yet another when you discover this over and over again in the records.
---
What is also amazing about the Sicilian people is that they are descended from Spanish, North African & Greek (Arbëreshë) immigrants, this is why when you often hear Sicilian's claiming to be very much separate from mainland Italy, listen .. it is so very true. The document below illustrates this and is one of my favorite finds.
--

---

It is the 1651 Church marriage record for Carlo Marciano to a Greek bride named Mattea Norcia "from Plane Grecorum or The Plane of the Greeks". I used this document to study further into this woman and discovered her parents arrived from Albania approximately 30 years earlier where they belonged to a large Greek Colony. Fascinating stuff when you see it all right before you. As another interesting point, and because of the intermarriages within my family, I descend from Mattea Norcia a total of 9 times in 4<> different lines.

---

(Christian Bale, The Machinist, he just couldn't sleep)

The effects of no sleep & multiple meals

Ok so I discovered something this week. If you get little sleep, and eat every couple hours, your body/metabolism kicks into overdrive and you lose weight. The thing is I don't need to lose weight, but it still happened. I mean I was chowing all day and night long, an insatiable hunger came over me for some reason. I even had like 2 candy bars! Yet when I woke up this morning I felt emaciated and starving, and when I stepped on the scale I realized I am down to 147 at 6', thats like 5 pounds in the last 3 days. Yikes...! I guess they weren't kidding when they said keeping the metabolism active with small meals throughout the day works, should you desire to lose. I mean I haven't Walked or crunched now since Saturday (not feeling motivated with these weird hours) so my physical activity has been very much reduced. Baffling..

---

Thanks everyone for their suggestions on where to get an in-house Washer/Dryer, I will have one soon no matter what the cost. That Laundromat shit is a nightmare, I don't know how people deal with it on a regular basis (can you tell it's the first time ever I have had too?) Think about that before you move into a condo or apartment which requires you to wash your clothes in such a place. Yea I mean taking things to family/friends sounds easy enough, but in the end it's a royal pain in the ass, try it and you will see what I mean.

---

So anyway two more days of this shift. Then its a 4 day weekend... :)

---

Laters :)

S4 C12 147

13 Comments:
Blogger Kalv1n said...
I'm so excited for your having a 4 day weekend coming up soon. And I know what you mean about the food. When I was on body for life, I was starving all the time, even though I was eating all the time. But then again, I didn't lose weight. Figures. Damn it.

Blogger NeiLDC said...
Hey way back wednesday eh.. anyway everyday i was fascinated with all the stuff and all the info.. are you working on history department or something. It was an amazing qork really. well about the laundry thing. hope you could have one soon.. Regarding of loosing weight.. i wanted too.. that was my priority this coming summer.. till then. Il wait your HNT tom. =)

Blogger Polt said...
THAT is Christian Bale? the SAME Christian Bale who was all buffed up and sexy in American Psycho? The same Christian Bale who was all muscley in last year's batman movie? Oh. My. God.

So you're losing weight and don't even want to, and aren't trying.

you are SUCH a bitch.

HUGS

Blogger Miladysa said...
Love WBW, always have, always will! Nothing strange about marrying your cousin, perfectly legal and acceptable here. My family have been marrying their cousins for years and this is a small island :)

A couple of years ago my chiropractor told me my body thought it was asleep all the time(thyroid problems, due to my weird life). It's better now, but Oh how I wish I could lose weight without trying. I mean, I'm sorry you feel bad, but ohmygod, you lost weight without trying?
--
rest up, and have fun this weekend, ok?

Blogger NeiLDC said...
Hey, I made it in ADOBE,and its scriptina font!

Blogger BriteYellowGun said...
I don't know...you seem awfully young to be so worried about your weight all the time.

Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...
very interesting post, jim.

there are still pockets of greek speakers in southern italy (puglia, calabria) and on sicily. their dialect is bizarre. it's kind of a mixture of greek and italian, and some claim it has its roots in the doric dialect of magna grecia (ie. 6th century bce). others think they're the descendants of the byzantines. myself i think their dialect sounds more medieval than ancient, but who knows. whatever its origins, it's fascinating, and clearly those communities have been there a very, very long time.

they've dwindled in numbers recently. during the fascist period, ethnic and linguistic minorities in italy suffered severe repression. they hung on, though. i've got some cds with their music. it's beautiful. very different than the music of greece and the islands.

you know, jim, greeks get naked at the beach :)

Blogger Miz BoheMia said...
I have missed you my friend! Work, kids and life in Spain takes me away every so often... I was delighted to pop in and find a Way Back Wednesday post. Fascinating as always! Some thing I am not too crazy about is that in Iran they see first cousins marrying as normal. Hah! Not in my world though... but I was raised to see them as siblings so... there is always the issue of biology.

My uncle on my dad's side married his first cousin and their kid is a total sweet braniac...

Anyway, off I go to bed. It is late here so forgive my incoherent mumblings! Much love to you!!!

Blogger Michael The Shadow said...
Hm...I'll have to say, that's pretty interesting that you lost weight. (not that I advocate lack of sleeping heh) But ya know what? Maybe it's what you are eating as well?

Still...I think you look great reguardless so...:) But that's just me.

Talk to you this weekend definately. Let's hear it for a 3 day weekend (for me at least)!

HUGS!

Blogger Troy said...
I like Bale a lot and I cant believe how skinny he was in the machinist. at first I liked the movie but then it became boring.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You of all peeps doesn't need to lose any weight my dear. Although your tummy is sublime. I wonder if I should go without sleep for a little while for the perfect Persian tummy ;)
kb

Blogger BriteYellowGun said...
Happy Sympathy & Pity Day! Come on over to my blog and share in the sorrow. We've got decorations and special guests! Hookers too!