Sunday, May 14, 2006
Mothers....
they were there to hold you


made sure you were always well fed...

insisted you drank plenty of Milk..


and had fun pets to play with...


didn't let you get into anything dangerous..


brought you fun places like the beach...


gave you neat props to play pretend with...


never forgot to change your diaper...


always had a nack for dressing you up in NEAT outifits..



and if you were lucky enough,

they started all over again with your kids..




---

because after all they were kids once too...


---

I am also reminded of my grandfather (Nono), who was an old Sicilian and kept the memory of his mother alive right up until his death. As a matter of fact the last time I saw him, semi-comatose in a hospital bed, cancer ridden and struggling for his last breath, he was talking to her. Unbelievably he was telling her "No Ma, I'm not ready yet". Tears swelled up in my eyes as I stood there watching from across the room in complete disbelief. I suppose it was his mother there, at his most important time of need, helping him through that last journey. Some may say it is ridiculous to believe such things, but then again they were not there. He was talking to her and not 2 hours later was gone. In honor of my old Nonna (his mother) and also my grandfather, I am uploading the song that reminded him most of her, and one which could always make the tough old guy cry like a baby.. It's by Connie Francis and is called...

MAMA

(click above to play, it's sad yet beautiful)

lyrics (the English part)

When the evening shadows fall
and the lovely day is through
Then with longing I recall
the years I spent with you

Mama, I miss the days
when you were near to guide me
Mama, those happy days
when you were here beside me

Safe in the glow of your love
Sent from the heavens above
Nothing can ever replace
The warmth of your tender embrace

Oh, Mama, until the day
that we're together once more
I'll live in these memories
Until the day that we're together once more


---

I hope you all have a great Mother's Day whether it is spending the day with her, or fondly remembering special memories spent with her no matter where she is now.

---

Laters :)

S85 C12 151

12 Comments:
Blogger Rian said...
This is a very nice Mother's Day Post. Thanks for the cute pictures and the nice story about your grandfather. I'm sure his mother was there when he needed her in the last hours. Very nice story.

Blogger Miz BoheMia said...
If you were my son and gave me that poem I would be bawling!

Loved this post my dear friend... very touching and so revealing of the sweet thang that is you!

Happy Mama's day to your great mom!

Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...
Beautiful entry and pictures.....I do believe his Mother was there....mine has come to me a few times.....but I never understood what she was trying to tell me!!! I heard what she said.....but didn't understand the signifigance of it.....By the way.....Connie Francis is a personal hero of mine!

Blogger Polt said...
what a post! What a great way to honor you mother! And what a poinient story about your grandfather.

PG, I just LOVE your posts!

Hope you had a wodnerful day with your mom!

Luv ya!

Blogger Kalv1n said...
That's a lovely post. And I think it's very sweet of you to think about carrying on our mother's memories. After all, they gave so much to us. Hope your mother's day went well.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What a beautiful post!

Blogger Joel said...
Loved the photos. NICE touch!

Blogger DanNation said...
I should have called my birth grandmother today and didn't...I need to get better at Mother's Day...

Blogger Unknown said...
Great post! Love the pics, so cute!

Blogger Spider said...
now THAT was the best Mother's Day post I have seen - how cute and now sweet...

Blogger Donald said...
Awesome post and beautiful pictures!

Blogger DEREK said...
love this entry guy, beautiful post, she's so beautiful!