Saturday, December 02, 2006
just something random on my mind...
Had the kids all day today... so no time naturally to post anything. Spent most of the day watching movies and playing video games. Simple yet much fun. It's funny how much we have in common, certainly more than I ever had with my parents.
---
anyway... something on my mind today.
---
So yea we all have heard of the hype over the recent release of PS3 and Nintendo Wii.
---
We also have heard the horror stories of the short supplies and the madness which has resulted.
---



---
Now we know very well these "shortages" in supply are marketing techniques to increase the demand. It's certainly not a new tactic, but shady nonetheless. And the public takes the bait every time (naturally), trying to (in many cases) cash in on this temporary frenzied demand or (in probably not so many cases) get the latest in gaming systems/toys/electronics...whatever.
---
The man talked about at the end of that video was out of work and looking to make a quick buck or two on Ebay selling three PS3's. From what I understand he was handing his friends money as they were loading him into the ambulance to pick three up. The store gave him a 4th for free.
---
My question is ...
---
Can we do anything about this scam?
---
It's historically cost lives ... let's not even go into serious injuries
---
I was very pleased to read Best Buy refused to sell them until after the first of the year.
---
at which time they will suddenly be plentiful
---
there should be something passed prohibiting companies from inciting riots for monetary gain
---
there.just.should
---
Yes I know such a law would directly contradict the very essence of Capitalism
---
It's still something that needs to be addressed
---
Cabbage Patch Kids & Tickle-Me Elmo got the ball rolling
---
It needs to stop
---
End of rant....
---
now... on to something more positive :)
---
---
Mary & Rhoda have invited me on as a guest on their fabulistic Podcast.
---
I am ever so flattered :)
---
I love these guys !
---
so everyone try and have a great weekend
---
Tomorrow I want to take my kids to see
---
Van Wilder 2 : The rise of Taj
---
All three of us have been looking forward to it..
---
for those of you who are unfamiliar with my Boyfriend Kal Penn, here he is :
---
---
Yea, the East Indian guy from Harold & Kumar, and of course the 1st Van Wilder (but you hardcore Kal fans already know this) I'm exited & I know they will be when I tell them.
---
That's it for now..
---
S1 156
17 Comments:
Blogger Spider said...
Looking forward to the podcast... sounds like a great day with the boys...

Blogger Lemuel said...
Until we stop taking the bait, I don't think that there will be much change in the marketing that results in this.

Blogger Rian said...
I love the podcast of Jimmi and Dan. Can't wait to hear you there.

Blogger Monogram Queen said...
It's great you have so much in common with your boys.

I hate that "hot" toy crap too. I say I would never partake in such madness but if Madison batted her big brown eyes at me and said "Mommy i've just got to have xxx" i'd move heaven and earth to get it for her. I just know I would.

Blogger Phoenixboi said...
If they want to kill themselves then let them. If they are stupid enough to have to want it now, then all fool them.

Blogger Michael The Shadow said...
I have to say that I got up pretty damn early to try and get a Wii, went three different places trying and couldn't on launch day. But the PS3?? It's a $600 machine and there's no reason for all the stupid shit that people are doing over it. Do I want one? Not at that price to begin with. Do I want a Wii? Hell yeah...but I'm willing to wait.

The capitalistic bullshit that people are pulling, selling them for over $1,000 is just WRONG! I'm a gamer, but I'm not stupid. And I hope that all the people that snagged up these systems just to sell them for well over their market price get what's coming to them. These are toys for kids, and us big kids, for people that want to play the games. Shame on them for pulling this.

Wow..ranted enough but it boils my blood. And I'm glad to hear that you had such a great weekend with the kids. :) I'll have to check out Van Wilder cause I loved Harold and Kumar!

Blogger Doug said...
A day of games sounds like a blast!

The whole scene around the latest-greatest video games is a great example of how impatient, selfish, and greedy we've become as a species. The corporations fuel it, the media hype it, and the "common" people fall into the trap. Woo hoo! We've made another buck. We're better off. Not.

I will be checking out the J&D podcasts and looking forward to hearing you!

*hugs*

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...
As for crazy gadget buying, you asked, "what can we do?" I say, be patient, don't feel the need for greed. Why is it so important for people to be the first to buy these toys? It's exhausting to watch. Too bad the same energy isn't spent on trying to feed the world.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I hope you enjoyed the time with your kids, I keep saying your so lucky to have that. Great rant by the way. I agree 100%. I don't think in a free market we'll ever really be able to do anything about it. I try not to get too wrapped up in it because if there is someone going to be willing to throw themselves into the frenzy or pay rediculious money for something then that's really their problem in the first place. I guess I'll just continue to sit back and watch as our country becomes more consumed with greed. Hope you have a good weekend and FYI I really enjoy your posts.

Blogger Ur-spo said...
congratulations and have fun with the DanNation podcast!

Blogger Jimmi said...
WHAT is up with these people that are SO desperate to get these video games? F-ing Cabbage Patch Kids Craze all over again! LOL It's just insane that people are going this crazy over them.

We are looking forward to having you on the show!

Blogger Sam said...
Kalvin is the one with the Ipod, but I will ask him to alert me when you are on the show so i can listen. I adore those two, I am just not in the pod cast world.

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...
I'll have to check out Mary and Rhoda (and their special guest **wink**)

Kal Penn is gorgeous! He was so underused in SUPERMAN RETURNS.

Blogger Benji said...
ok, no, you can't steal kal penn from me. let's go see his new movie together. that way if you hate me in person, you don't have to talk to me, you can just watch the movie, lol

Blogger Scott E D said...
Do people still use the pharse East Indain?

Blogger Scott E D said...
Do people still use the pharse East Indain?

Blogger Benji said...
as opposed to what, scott? south asian? east asian?