Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Way back Wed....& passed out PG pictures
---
introducing.... Amelia Elisabetta Del Favero DaVia, my maternal great-grandmother. Born 1877 Valle di Cadore, Provincia di Belluno (in the far north, a stone's throw from Austria) daughter of Osvald-Antonino Del Favero & Maria Carmela Agnoli. She came to the US with her two daughters Giovanna & Olimpia in 1903. My nona (her youngest) Margherita was born here in Massachusetts in 1922. One of my favorite possessions is her original Citizenship certificate (pictured above) which hung on her wall until the day she died (which was a decade or so before I graced this planet, but her memory was kept alive all during my childhood).

---
Her husband Massimo Da Via abandoned her and the children (6 daughters) somewhere about 1930 and was last heard of in Lafayette, Indiana (wherever the hell that is!). She was a simple woman whose proudest moment (or so I have been told) is the day she waived the little paper flag at her naturalization ceremony. She also didn't photograph so well, every picture I have ever seen displays this humorous look on her face....




Years ago, when I was about 17 I went to the local courthouse in Springfield to find her petition, it of course had (another) photo of her, signed across the front in her simple writing. The clerk (an elderly woman) burst out in laughter when she opened the book to Nona's entry. She then proceeded to share this with a few coworkers oblivious to how I might (and did) take offense. Anyway I was a Jr in High school, I didn't say anything but for some reason I never forgot. Despite the "deer in headlights" look, there is something so warm and loving about her photos, a sense of innocence, yet depth. Would you believe she has two daughters still living? One is 102 and the other 99!! My grandmother Margherita passed away about 12 years ago age 68.

---
For some reason I couldn't sleep last night and was up until 3 AM reorganizing my PC (a project of momentous proportion). How many people out there drag things to their desktop in order to upload/post/edit a file located on some remote part of their hard drive only a search will uncover. Honestly I do it all the time, so every so often I need to clean up the place. It's amazing what you find when you start rummaging through your computer. like these gems, taken by my friend after a night out in Springfield... my friend decided to take some pictures of me passed out in the kitchen, yikes!!! Don't get the wrong idea I actually slipped and fell on my butt after coming in the door and then laid down and took a "nap lol (I'm not sure exactly when these were from but since I've only lived here since November of last year they are relatively recent.. I'm thinking April or May of this year based on the Tshirt..)


1 , 2 & 3


---

S2 160

11 Comments:
Blogger NeiLDC said...
Good Photo, oops is that true, the hierarchy.. wow totally awesome.. about your pic. its was nice shot as well turned out to be HNT. jajaj
im still down my friend.. what shall i do then.. can you give me piece of advice.
NEILDC

Blogger Polt said...
hmm, I don't know, if I had you passed out on the floor, I think I would have disrobed you a bit more...and never bothered with the camera... :P

HUGS and stuff...

Blogger Rian said...
I love the posts about your family's history. And to be honest, holding my own Citizenship certificate would make me very proud as well.

I took this kind of nap on the floor of a balcony once. Fortunately nobody took pictures of me. (Which doesn't mean I don't like yours)

Blogger Monogram Queen said...
Blogger is being such a PAIN today Arrgghh... I have tried and tried to comment.. ah well here I am .. finally.. I THINK.
Those pics are funny :) glad to know you didn't pass out and hit your head!
I love the stories of your ancesters. All mine have pretty much died off. I would love to talk to someone 100+ or 99 years old. I heart old people

Blogger The Persian said...
I have been having a lot of problems with my template and post today between Firefox & IE I have been republishing constantly to get it the way I want (I'm kinda anal that way)

Neil: I'm so sorry to hear you're still down. Email me!

Polty: hehe :)

Rian: Yea it's kind of a big thing with me (my family history), sometimes I get carried away with boring posts about my ancestors but I like writing about them, remembering their lives through the blog.

Patti: I didn't hit my head but my butt was so sore the next day because I hit the floor hard. I love older people too, they absolutetly fascinate me, so much to share with us.

Blogger Jimmi said...
I love that you research your family roots like this. I can tell you have the bug of wanting to know as much as possible about your past and where you come from and finding gems like the certificate and stuff make the search that much more fun. My family immigrated to Canada in the early 50's and then to the US in the late 50's. I know a lot about my immediate family but not much past my great grandmother/grandfather. I did get to meet my great grandmother on my grandfathers side when I as in Scotland at age 10 or so. Very nice lady and loving to me, but hard to her own children from what I understand. I guess you had to be that way back in that day.

I was very lucky to have stories from my grandparents about them growing up and what it was like growing up in the war and how they met, and where they worked, etc… It was a simple time but it seemed so complex. War or not, they lived, they loved and they survived and moved to the US where they did VERY well for themselves.

Blogger Kalv1n said...
And here I thought those photos were 2xist ads! Silly me. And you grandmother seems adorable.

Blogger Michael The Shadow said...
Damn it Jim....even when you're layin on the floor ya look good ;) I'll try and get ahold of ya tomorrow evening. Missed chatting with ya.

Hugs :)

Blogger Phoenixboi said...
Jim those pics are a classic!.. almost looks like you were being taken advantage of while passed out there..

Blogger Unknown said...
Wow, thats so cool!

Blogger Miladysa said...
Love it You are Mr WBW! ;]