Tuesday, May 02, 2006
Tori Tuesday #1 & a MEME


The Chronicles of Chaos & Susies the boss have deemed this day each week.. Tori Tuesday and I decided to take part because I have been a mad follower since the summer of '97 when I first heard Professional Widow (Armand) in a club. Strangely it is a mix least like any of her other work, but after hearing it I needed to find more and afterward bought Little Earthquakes (her debut album) and then Boys for Pele (I didn't fall for UTP until much later). Within a year I had almost everything she had released to date and was right there at the music store when From the Choirgirl Hotel was released in '98. I was hooked. I've seen her now 11 times (which is nothing really, compared to the number of times her more rabid fans attend shows) and was able to meet her once.

It was at a small radio thing in November of 2002. My ex got us these exclusive tickets to a small mini-concert (30 people) at WTIC 96.5 FM in Hartford CT. Each couple were allowed 5 minutes with her, a photograph, and signing.

(Tori & my Ex Tyler, I edited myself out..ehk)

( The front of my Silent All These Years Japan Mini Disc)

(the interior, signed for me)

She was amazing, sweet, beautiful and while she spoke to us, nobody else in the room seemed to matter. I had put together something I researched on her native American ancestor Margaret Little (whom she talks about often in Interviews) and she was floored. Joel her bodyguard had to remind her twice there were more people to talk to and Tori even wanted photographs taken with her own camera. She went on and on how her mother had tried to get this information to no avail and that she too would be thrilled to see the smallish booklet I put together. She even asked us if there was something we wanted to hear that night (she had a show later that evening at The Oakdale in Wallingford, CT. which we had 3rd row tickets to).

---

I'm running late again (what's up with that???) and need to answer a MEME I was tagged for on Sunday later when I get to work. But for now this is the only post I have time to get up.

---


In Deep . . .


A meme by James, who tagged me:

If you could be any person in the world, who would you be, and why?

I wouldn't want to be anyone other than who I am. I wouldn't mind a better job or a little more money however.

Describe a place you remember from your childhood.

My Nonie's house, full of amazing cooking scents and her loving arms.

How did you meet your closest friend?

hm.. well over the internet I guess. Strange but true.

What is something you do well?

research, genealogy, creative writing .. i guess that's it.

What would have happened if you didn't leave the house this morning?

I would have cleaned my house, gone on my daily 4 mile walk early and probably sat online and revamped my sites & blog.

If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Iran, the homeland of my paternal ancestors. We are talking fantasy right?

What sets you apart from the crowd?

My ability to read people, to be able to see into their character right away.

What do you want to be remembered for?

Yikes, probably nothing of importance, but I'm not dead yet!

What is the nicest thing you have done for someone?

I've helped many people locate their biological children or parents through a volunteer organization I used to belong to called TRY (Today reunites Yesterday)

What is the greatest lesson you've learned so far in your life?

well..to quote Joni Mitchell :

"Something's lost yet something's gained, in living every day"

would you spend a found $20 bill?

I would make an effort to find the owner, provided that was possible.

What is your favorite day of the week?

Saturday, the 1st day I get to spend with my sons each week.

How old would you be if you didn't know your real age?

hm, some days 20 and others 80, it depends on where I am and what I'm doing.

Name some things you are thankful for.

My children, my mother, and my family.

What was your favorite childhood toy?

This incredible Hulk toy whose arms stretched and was made of this squishy rubbery material. I don't remember what it was called but I took that thing everywhere.

and.. I tag .. Chai & Sympathy -- Donnie -- Rich Brown & Kalvin

Now I tagged you guys because y'all are some of my favorite people and I would love to hear your answers to these interesting questions. And for anyone else who wants to do it..Please do! I'll be over to read it soon enough. I could easily have made this a huge list, but 4 seemed like a reasonable number to stop with.

---

Laters :)

S73 C12 150

20 Comments:
Blogger Ryan said...
awesome post! i can tell by your writing how much u enjoyed it!

Blogger Polt said...
Why edit yourself out of the photo? We want to see Persian Guy,we don't care about his ex Tyler.

Hugs.

Blogger DEREK said...
most excellent post! She is the most talented female artist I can think of. She's been my favorite for years now. You don't know how many nights I've went to sleep with her voice ringing through my ears.

Blogger Kalv1n said...
Enough of y'all's keep talking about her that I think I will eventually have to check her out. And why edit the photo? Okay, you have your reasons, and it's your personal space to do what you want. It's just interesting to me because I think most people feel more uncomfortable (at least I do) putting up pictures of people I know other than myself, but then again I don't have a lot of identifying characteristics either. Hope you made it on time.

Blogger Scott E D said...
Comment moderation has been enabled?

Oh my goodness.

You forgot to thank Kate Bush for having a style that Tori could copy.

Blogger The Persian said...
Scott: on a quick listen and as a casual listener Tori might (in the early days) sound similar to Kate. But if you have a listen to Tori's entire catalog you would find out that the two women have little if anything in common lyrically or sonically. This is a very old comparison, beat to death in my book by people who never took the time to actually listen to Tori for more than 5 minutes.

:)

Blogger VeryApeAZ said...
How awesome that you got to meet her! I know I would cream my pants if I ever got to meet Eddie Vedder.

Blogger BriteYellowGun said...
Sorry, not really a fan. So I have nothing much to say here today. :(

Blogger NeiLDC said...
OH great, did you enjoy a lot, same as I i was posting the cd dedicated by me also, by another singers (see blog).. anyway congrats, and remember keep that out! it was a precious thing!

Blogger potusol said...
I remember hearing Professional Widow at a dance club and wondering who in the hell that was. Talk about taking a song and making something COMPLETELY different out of it. Anyway, I've always admired here the same way I admire anyway who has the talent to write and perform their own songs.

Blogger Jim said...
She is an incredible artist, great that you were able to spend some time with her!

What thoughtful creative thinking to have researched her relative like that. And while I may have you beat with the ab crunches, you definitely top me on the walking. I only manage about a mile a day. I can see that the bar has been raised. A new challenge to meet.
DEL

Blogger madamerouge said...
A friend of mine got to have a beer with her once (circa 1992?) in a pub in Kingston, Ontario. Between the two of you, I don't know what to do with myself!

(No matter... I'm sure if I was ever lucky enough to meet her, I would turn into a blob of quivering gelatinous goo and blubber like an idiot...)

honey bring it close to my lips, yes

Blogger The Persian said...
ryan: I did, she is the most down to earth person, and very sweet.

polt: I hate that picture of me.

hanuman: Thanks!

derek: Me too, my ex and I would fall asleep to Boys for Pele on repeat all night long.

Kalvin: Trust me he wouldnt mind, it's already posted on a couple different sites already.

Ted: I've been trying to get my son into Pearl Jam but he doesn't seem to be too interested yet.

brite: Well you should be, she's amazing. Try and check out some of her work.

nick: Yup story of my life lately, running every night wipes me out.

neil: I have the CD in a slip case put away. It's rare by itself, even if she hadn't signed it and fetches more than $100 on ebay every time it's listed.

Jeffy: Definitely night and day to the original. My favorite Professional Widow version is The Merry Widow off the Hey Jupiter EP, it makes my cat go insane!

jim: She is, lyrical genius.

madam: Wow.. I would need a beer or two in order to talk to her and not be a nervous wrek. When I met her I was kind of shaking a little, she put her hand on my arm and said "it's ok"

Castor: No chance, I will never post my half of that picture, and that says something considering how exited I was to have it taken with her!

Blogger S said...
Hurray PG, for doing a Tori Tuesday! Thats so cool that you met her too......

Ok listen here mister......How's come I don't get any credit for Tori Tuesday? I am not sure, but I think ...ok, I will go back and see who started it first, me or Aerik, but anyway sheesh PG, am I invisible or what?

Dang PG, do I have to be a man to get any credit around here? I mean, sheesh!

I am quite stoked to see so many Tori fans out there though......

Blogger S said...
And I hate it when people compare Tori to Kate Bush...ack! Horrible

Blogger S said...
BTW Can we talk about that Tori Stories Boot? I would give my right arm for a copy....XXXX

Blogger The Persian said...
I changed it Susie (I thought you had said he started it..OOPS!) In any case you brought it to my attention so you should have been the one listed.

Oh and the Boot...I suppose a copy wouldn't help you out right? (I mean a burned copy)

Blogger S said...
Yes PG yes, a copy would be so lovely!

Right on for letting me share that honor with Aerik, PG, I so appreciate it as I am so so EWF! and proud.


You rock man!

Blogger S said...
I agree, PG's pretty cute, isnt he, Dave!?